The superfood trend is not going out of fashion just yet. More and more people from fitness enthusiasts to health nerds are incorporating superfoods into their diets and for good reason. These foods are so super because they are some of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. Many of them have been used as forms of natural remedies by indigenous people for thousands of years too.
These power-packed foods can be found in a wide variety of forms such as seeds, berries, extracts, powders, and gels, and they each have their benefits. If you want to join the superfood train, but don't know where to start, this is your chance to check out some delicious recipes that will convince you to form the healthy habit of incorporating superfoods into your meals.
Each of the following recipes contains one of the 5 superfoods described below. These are some of the healthiest foods on the planet that provide you with a myriad of health benefits:
- Seaweed: One serving of seaweed can be as low as just 30 calories while being exceptionally high in nutrients as well. Seaweed helps strengthen the mucus that protects the wall of your gut, slows down your digestion that releases energy over time, prevents high blood pressure, regulates your hormones, and it has plenty of detoxification properties that may even prevent and combat cancer.
- Goji Berries: These exotic looking berries are low in calories and sugars and are incredibly delicious to simply snack on. They contain 18 amino acids, which makes these berries a perfect source of protein, they help reduce your cravings, they help you feel full and satiated, and what makes them truly special is that they boost your immune and nervous systems, as well as increasing your brain and muscle functionality.
- Pomegranate: Satisfy your sweet tooth with some healthy and delicious pomegranate seeds. Not only are they very low in calories, but they contain disease-fighting antioxidants, they support digestive regularity thanks to their high-fiber content, they help slow down the growth of prostate cancer, reduce your bad cholesterol levels, and improve your blood flow for enhanced cardiovascular health.
- Sweet Potatoes: Not only are sweet potatoes the most delicious... well, potatoes, but they are also high in Vitamin C and Vitamin A, which gives your immune system a healthy boost and helps repair your skin and other tissues. They are also rich in antioxidants and they have anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties. They are also great for regulating your blood sugar levels and improve your brain and nerve functions.
- Arugula: According to the ancient Romans, arugula helps increase sex appeal if consumed regularly. But it is more known for its high content of antioxidants which helps prevent cancer, it's also rich in vitamins and minerals that help improve brain function, and thanks to its low-calorie content, it helps you maintain your weight in check. Additionally, arugula helps improve bone health and keeps you hydrated, especially during hot weather.
Healthy Superfoods Recipes
1. Nori Chips
I bet you expected a sushi recipe for the seaweed superfood ingredient, but there's more you can do with seaweed than just sushi. This recipe only takes 15 minutes to cook and you can use it to satisfy your salt cravings for when you need something to snack on, and they go perfectly with your favorite healthy dip sauce.
- 10 nori sheets
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons of sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons of chili flakes
- Preheat your over to 250ºF (120ºC).
- Fold the nori sheets in half and then open them back up in order to lightly brush them with water.
- Fold the nori sheets again and brush the top with sesame oil.
- Sprinkle some seeds and chili flakes and then bake them in the oven for 10 minutes.
2. Goji Cacao Bites
This delicious recipe contains not one, but two superfoods. Raw cacao is another healthy superfood that is delicious and makes this recipe a delicate dessert with amazing health benefits. Plus, this takes only minutes to make without any baking or actual cooking time. So it’s a time saver for you as well.
- 1/2 cup of goji berries
- 2 tablespoon of yacon syrup
- 1/4 cup of cacao powder
- Smash your goji berries with a fork in a bowl until they are like sticky, soft clumps.
- Completely cover the goji clump with yacon syrup, making sure that you only coat them on the outside.
- Put your cacao powder in a separate bowl and roll your goji clumps in the powder. Enjoy!
3. Pomegranate-Beet Tahini Dip
This healthy dip has a beautiful purple hue that makes it truly appealing. It'll be ready in just 10 minutes and you can serve it with your Nori Chips or other crunchy vegetables of your choosing.
- 1/3 cup of tahini
- 1/3 cup of plain kefir
- 1/4 cup of finely grated red beet
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons of pomegranate seeds
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Whisk all of your ingredients without the pomegranate seeds, into a bowl until they are well combined.
- Mash your pomegranate seeds with a fork and add it to the mixture.
- Whisk it all together and enjoy!
4. Grilled Sweet Potato Fries
If you're craving French fries, don't! After you try this recipe, you'll most definitely start craving these grilled sweet potato fries instead. Plus, it's a much healthier and tastier version of the more popular French fry.
- 2 medium scrubbed and dried sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat your grill to medium-high.
- Cook your sweet potatoes in a microwave until they are crisp-tender when you pierce them with a knife.
- Allow them to cool for a few minutes after that, and cut them lengthwise into wedges.
- Transfer the wedges to a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with paprika and pepper on all sides.
- Grill for 3 minutes on each side until they are fully cooked.
- Season with salt and enjoy!
5. Pear and Arugula Salad
This gluten-free and high in fiber recipe is absolutely delicious. You can top it with homemade candied walnuts and add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the walnuts before baking them for extra flavor.
- 1 cup of halved walnuts
- 4 teaspoons of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoon of walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 large minced garlic clove
- 8 cups of baby arugula
- 2 sliced pears
- Preheat your over to 400°F and line a small baking pan with parchment paper.
- Toss the walnuts and the water into a bowl and sprinkle them with the sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt, until they are fully coated.
- Transfer them to your pan and bake until the sugar is melted, for about 8 minutes. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes afterward.
- Meanwhile, mash the garlic and a pinch of salt into a paste and put it into a bowl with the oil, mustard, vinegar, and pepper.
- Whisk and add the arugula, pears, and walnuts.
- Mix it all together and enjoy!
You can start adding superfoods to your diet by trying out these recipes. They are healthy, low in calories, and packed with the nutrients you need for good health. Try one of these recipes at least once a day, since they are so quick and easy to make, and way better than any store-bought foods. When you cook your own meals, then your eating experience becomes more enjoyable and rewarding.
Cook your own Nori Chips and give them a try with that savory pomegranate dip for a punch of flavor. And don’t be afraid to satisfy your sweet tooth with that goji berries dessert – it’s guilt-free and low in calories. Did you already incorporate these superfoods into your diet? Tell us your recipes in the comments below!