How do you finish your workout? Workout finishers might not be fun, but they're effective! Metabolic finishers or workout finishers are exercises designed to enhance your strength training session. They can last anywhere in between 1 and 10 minutes and they can do wonders for your power, strength, and muscle mass. If you want to make sure that you've exhausted the last drop of energy to burn fat and make new gains, then you might want to seriously consider incorporating metabolic finishers into your workout routine.
Not only are these metabolic finishers great for your muscle gains and fat-loss goals, but they help you build mental toughness. They also reward you with that satisfaction that you can only get after pushing yourself hard to complete a challenging task. So, whether you want to implement metabolic finishers into your training program to speed up fat loss, improve your workout capacity, or improve your body conditioning for an event, the following finishers will help you achieve your goal.
3 Metabolic Finishers
1. EMOM Tire Pushes
EMOM (every minute on the minute) is a great way to boost your heart rate at the end of your regular workout. Sometimes, the muscular tissue of your heart needs special treatment. Your heart needs proper stimulation and attention to keep on pumping and doing a great job for you. And 10-20 minutes metabolic finishers can help you do that. EMOM tire pushes will help you improve your total body conditioning, increase leg strength endurance, and work your core, shoulders, arms, and chest.
- Choose a tire that you can push for 30 seconds without exhausting yourself.
- Push it for about 30 seconds and take a 30-second rest.
- Push the tire back where you started and this time take 25 seconds rest.
- Reduce your resting period each time you push the tire.
- Repeat for 10 to 20 rounds!
2. Medicine Ball Throws Complex
You only need a 3-5 kg medicine ball to help you improve your upper body endurance. Medicine ball throws are great for upper-body conditioning and enhancing your torso power. Additionally, they help you build explosive power which is great if you practice other sports, like kick-boxing. Make sure you keep each throw explosive and that you maintain a long spine during rotary throws.
- Stand in front of a wall, preferably at a short distance, and perform the following exercises one after the other.
- Squat push throws x 8 reps
- Overhead throws alternating steps x 16 reps
- Rotary throws alternating sides x 16 reps
- Overhead floor slams x 8 reps
- Make sure you rest for about 90 seconds in between rounds and perform about 4 or 5 rounds.
3. 100 Rep Kettlebell Complex
Kettlebells are versatile weights that can help you gain momentum and full body rhythmic movements. This is great to help you coordinate with better timing and focus. The 100 Rep Method with kettlebell exercises is an amazing workout finisher that helps boost your metabolism. Make sure you do the exercises one after the other and that you perform them with controlled movements.
- Kettlebell swings x 10 reps on each side
- Kettlebell cleans x 10 reps on each side
- Kettlebell snatches x 10 reps on each side
- Kettlebell racked squats x 10 reps on each side
- Kettlebell presses x 10 reps on each side
- Perform 1 to 3 rounds and rest for a couple of minutes in between rounds.
When should I use Metabolic Finishers?
You should only use metabolic finishers after a strength or resistance training session. This is because they are a good alternative for HIIT that provide you a healthy metabolic boost. You should take advantage of the benefits of metabolic finishers especially if you're trying to burn fat.
They are also time-efficient, as metabolic finishers take a very short time to perform while providing you with a greater metabolic effect than regular cardio. You should also be careful and not overdo it. Don't perform finishers after every single workout.
- Increased heart rate: This helps you burn more calories after you've completed your workout, thanks to the EPOC effect (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption)
- Mental toughness: This will help you enjoy the rewarding experience that comes after the completion of your workout session while enabling you to mentally withstand the challenge of performing the metabolic finishers.
- Time-effective: You can finish performing these workout finishers in less than 10 minutes with minimal space and equipment.
- Fat-loss: Metabolic finishers speed up the fat burning processes in both males and females; they are especially effective for weight-loss and getting ready for a competition or sports event.
- Total-body conditioning: You can burn fat efficiently without sacrificing your muscle mass. This way you also encourage new muscle gains.
There are plenty of metabolic finishers out there that can be just as efficient. It's up to you which ones fit into your training. The ones mentioned above are guaranteed to provide you with total-body conditioning and help develop your explosive power while helping you melt away unwanted fat.
Metabolic finishers are great for your fitness and physique, but they are even greater for your mental toughness, ambition, and determination to complete a challenge. You'll benefit from plenty of rewards if you incorporate them into your strength training program, from quick fat-loss to a satisfactory confidence boost!