MSM (methylsulfonylmethane), also known as the miracle supplement, is used to treat a number of illnesses and diseases. It can lower inflammation, raise your immunity, increase your energy levels, alleviate pain, and fight the effects of stress. MSM is an organic compound with a high content of sulfur. It occurs naturally in a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, animals, and humans.
It is used to improve immune function and promote the restoration of healthy bodily tissue. It is considered a miracle supplement because of the multiple health benefits it provides, due to its high content of biologically active sulfur, which is essential for many of your daily bodily functions.
Joint pain and inflammation: MSM has an analgesic effect that helps relieve joint pain, combats harmful joint inflammation, improves flexibility, and helps restore collagen production. MSM supplements can be used to treat arthritis, joint paint, knee and back problems, stiffness, and a limited range of motion. MSM promotes the formation of new joint and muscle tissue, which is why it is often used to treat osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and other degenerative joint diseases.
- Treats digestive problems: Supplementing on MSM can help you rebuild and repair the lining of your digestive tract, reduce inflammation, and prevent certain allergic reactions. It is often used to help heal leaky gut syndrome and treat hemorrhoids.
- Treats skin problems: MSM has many skin uses, due to its role in collagen production, which is important for skin elasticity. MSM can be used to treat scars, stretch marks, skin discoloration, rosacea, wrinkles, acne, and it helps heal wounds, cuts, and abrasions. Studies have shown that using a topical MSM cream has helped form connective tissue in skin, treat acne, and other skin disorders.
- Reduces muscle pain and spasms: MSM acts as a natural analgesic that helps treat and prevent muscle pains, aches, soreness, and swelling while promoting better mobility and a full range of motion. Additionally, it helps your muscles recover faster after training or even an injury.
- Promotes hair growth: MSM boosts your collagen and keratin production, which are necessary to rebuild skin, hair, and nail cells. Supplementing on MSM promotes stronger hair and some studies suggest that it helps reverse hair loss.
- Better stress management: MSM can work similar to an adaptogen herb, by helping your body adapt to stress. It boosts your body's ability to heal after an injury, intense training, or any form of stressful event. Supplementing on MSM before your workout can reduce muscle damage and other forms of stress that exercising may have on your body. Additionally, it reduces fatigue after a stressful event, while promoting increased energy levels, normal digestion, and enhanced well-being.
For general health, it is recommended that you take 3-6 grams of MSM divided into 3 doses throughout the day. To treat specific conditions, it is best to check with your medical care provider for professional advice, because the dosages may differ according to your personal needs and conditions. For example, the general dosage for patients with osteoarthritis is 500 mg of MSM 3 times a day, but it may not be the best dosage for everyone. MSM supplementation is commonly used to treat the following conditions:
- chronic joint pain, such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, joint inflammation
- leaky gut syndrome and other autoimmune disorders
- osteoporosis, tendonitis, bursitis
- susceptibility to bone fractures and musculoskeletal pains
- allergies, asthma, and yeast infections
- muscle cramps
- constipation, ulcers, and indigestion
- PMS symptoms
- hair loss
- skin problems, such as stretch marks, wrinkles, sunburns, and wounds
- poor circulation
- high blood pressure
- eye inflammation
- oral infections and toothaches
MSM is called the miracle supplement for good reasons. Not only it provides you with biologically active sulfur, but it is used to treat multiple diseases and symptoms with a rare occurrence of side effects, such as digestive issues.
In one clinical trial, MSM was used alongside a placebo in a random, double-blind test. It was found to significantly decrease pain and physical impairment in patients who suffered from knee osteoarthritis. Additionally, MSM was found to improve functioning for daily activities when compared to the placebo. In another study, the onset of analgesic (pain relief) and anti-inflammatory activity was found to be more rapid with the combination of glucosamine & MSM. People with joint pain felt better after taking these two supplements together.
While the studies on the effects of MSM are great news, make sure you check with your medical care provider if you have health concerns. It is better to receive professional advice for specific conditions, as MSM may not be enough to treat them. Additionally, you may need a specific dosage of MSM that is adjusted to your own medical needs.