If you're looking for a fast and effective way to lose body fat before an important event, then you've come to the right place. The cardio methods presented below will help you lose body fat quickly if you're getting ready to attend an important event such as a wedding or even a competition. That is why you shouldn't abuse these methods and only use them to boost you towards your goal before an important event.
Cardiovascular training is an important part of any fitness program and you should definitely have a routine dedicated to it. But these intense methods should not be misused and overused. Whether you choose to do spin classes or the post-workout interval cardio, make sure that you don't use these methods as substitutes for your strength training sessions. Instead, incorporate them into your overall fitness program for maximum results.
1. POST-WORKOUT INTERVAL CARDIO
This method can help you lose 1 pound of fat per week, with just 12-minute sessions 3 or 5 times a week. For this method, you will need to get on the elliptical immediately after your last lift. The elliptical is a better alternative to running, especially if you carry your lifting sessions at the gym. It effectively raises your heart rate and helps you work up a sweat to shed excess pounds. It also enables you to emulate the running motion the tough impact that a treadmill would have on your joints. Plus, the moveable handles help you exercise your upper and lower body simultaneously.
- 12 minutes a day, 3-5 times a week after your last lift of the day
- 1:28 minutes at a comfortable pace (light jog)
- 32 seconds at maximum sprint pace
- To reach the 12-minute mark, you will need to do 6 cycles of light jog immediately followed by maximum sprint pace. If you can’t complete the 6 cycles the first time, start with 2 or 3 cycles, adding one more each time you do it until you build up to 6 full cycles.
- Immediately after your last lift, get on the elliptical.
- Start moving your legs as soon as you get on it.
- Go at a comfortable pace, but faster than a walking pace.
- Keep the comfortable pace for 1 minute and 28 seconds.
- After the 1 minute and 28 seconds have expired, crank-up the pace and sprint as fast as you can for 32 seconds straight.
- Return at your comfortable pace after the 32 seconds of intense sprinting.
- Repeat until you hit 12 minutes.
2. SPIN CLASSES
Spinning is a method of indoor cycling. This cardio training method is a low-impact form of exercise, so your joints will definitely enjoy it. You should incorporate regular cycling into your overall fitness program as a form of fun cardio, but when you need an intense fitness fix, spinning classes will boost your power, speed, and it will help you burn calories effectively.
You will get an amazing workout for your glutes, hams, quads, and core out of your spinning class. And because you'll be pedaling as hard as you possibly can, make sure don't forget to breathe! Take deep breaths so that your muscles have enough oxygen to work. Make sure you don’t replace your lifting sessions with spinning classes and only introduce them in between your workouts as you see fit, depending on your weight-loss goal.
- 2-3 spin classes a week, for 2-4 weeks before a big event
- 30-45 minutes spinning
- Get on your stationary bicycle and start pedaling.
- The speed and pace will vary throughout the workout. If you need a break, make sure you slowly take off some of the resistance you use and slow down your pedals until you recover. But don't just stop pedaling. Simply continue at a slower pace.
- Go for maximum 45 minutes. Once you go past 45 minutes, it’s very easy to become catabolic, so don’t overdo it.
These methods are great for workout variety and they help prevent your body from getting acclimated to your fitness program. But more importantly, these methods are perfect to help you lose fat while keeping your muscle. If you need to get ready for an event such as a wedding or even a competition and you really need to lose some excess fat, these methods will definitely work. However, while the post-workout cardio interval can be used over a longer period of time, make sure you keep your spinning classes under control and only couple them with your strength training routine before the big event.
Admittedly, spinning classes can be quite addictive, so if you’re really having fun, you can introduce spinning into your cardio training and go for it once a week. Some advanced spinning classes use weights, believe it or not! Instead of keeping your hands on the handles, you’ll be required to pedal fast and pump up your lifts with a couple of light dumbbells. Whichever method you’ve chosen for your fat-loss goal, make sure you’re having fun while at it!