What’s trending in nutrition this year? What are the superfoods Americans consume more of?
Get a front-row seat as we talk about what nutritional foods are preferred this year.
Top five healthiest seeds:
- Hemp seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Chia seeds
Hemp Seeds are truly a super food, as they are packed with impressive nutritional qualities. They contain a ratio of 3 to 1 omega-6 and omega-3 oils and are a great source of gamma linoleic and acid. They are packed with 10 essential amino acids, pure protein and fiber (40% of their composition).
Hemp seeds benefits:
- Support heart health and reduce the risk of heart disease
- Hemp seeds and oil benefit skin disorders such as eczema, relieve dry skin and reduce itchiness and the need for skin medication
- Reduce symptoms of PMS and menopause
- Aid digestion
- Provide nutritional support against numerous diseases
Sunflower Seeds are a dense source of vitamins, minerals and essential oils, and offer several extraordinary health benefits:
- Promote cardiovascular health – with Vit E and folate
- Support healthy cholesterol levels
- Great source of Magnesium – Magnesium deficiency can lead to a variety of health problems that can affect the cardiovascular, nervous and immune system
- Aid in depression, supporting a healthy mood
- Powerful antioxidant and great for thyroid health – thanks to the Selenium they contain
Sesame Seeds have numerous benefits due to their nutritional content, including vitamins, minerals, natural oils and organic compounds which consist of Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Manganese, Copper, Zinc, Fiber, Vitamin B6, Thiamin, Folate, Tryptophan and protein.
Health benefits of sesame seeds:
- Blood pressure – their oils reduce the strain on the cardiovascular system and help prevent various cardiac conditions
- Cancer prevention – the vitamins and minerals contained in sesame seeds can help reduce the risk of cancer
- Diabetes management – they can regulate the insulin and glucose levels in the body, helping to manage the symptoms of diabetes.
- Bone health - the minerals found in sesame seeds are integral parts in creating new bone matter, and strengthening/repairing bones that may be weakened by injury
- Digestion – the fiber found in sesame seeds can reduce conditions like constipation, as well as diarrhea, and protect the health of the colon and reduce the chances of gastrointestinal diseases and cancer.
Pumpkin Seeds are concentrated sources of many health-benefiting vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, and essential amino-acids such as tryptophan, and glutamate.
- They contain L-tryptophan, which helps promote sleep and fight depression
- Reduce levels of LDL cholesterol
- Great source of vitamin K and vitamin E
- High in zinc, pumpkin seeds are a natural protector against osteoporosis, since zinc deficiencies can lead to higher rates of osteoporosis
- 100 g of pumpkin seeds contains about 30 grams of protein
- Can prevent calcium oxalate kidney stone formation
- Reduce inflammation and counter arthritis pain without the side effects of anti-inflammatory drugs
- Pumpkin seeds are good for prostate health. The oil in pumpkin seeds alleviates difficult urination that happens with an enlarged prostate.
Chia Seeds are loaded with nutrients that can have important benefits for body and brain and are supposedly the healthiest food on the planet.
Chia seeds benefits:
- Help weight loss by reducing food cravings and preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system
- Help you feel fuller faster because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
- Great hydration source for athletes through the "chia gel" that can hydrate the body.
- Reduce your blood pressure
- They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 – the vital fats that protect against inflammations such as arthritis and heart disease (they contain more Omega-3 than salmon)
- Scientists believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
Avocados are a naturally nutrient-dense food and contain nearly 20 vitamins and minerals. This is a unique type of fruit that has powerful benefits on health:
- Healthy for the heart: avocados contain 25 milligrams per ounce of a natural plant sterol called beta-sitosterol. Regular consumption of beta-sitosterol and other plant sterols has been seen to help maintain healthy cholesterol levels
- Incredibly nutritious: Vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin C, Potassium (more than what we find in bananas), Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E
- Avocados can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- Lower the risk of depression: containing high levels of folate may help to decrease the risk of depression as folate helps to prevent the build-up substance that can impair circulation and delivery of nutrients to the brain
- Improve digestion: avocado is high in fiber, with approximately 6-7 grams per half fruit that can help to prevent constipation, maintain a healthy digestive tract and lower the risk of colon cancer
- Natural detoxification: adequate fiber promotes regular bowel movements, which are crucial for the daily excretion of toxins through the bile and stool
- Osteoporosis prevention: half of an avocado provides approximately 25% of the daily-recommended intake for vitamin K, a nutrient that is essential for bone health
Nuts are technically considered a fruit. However, unlike most types of fruit, they aren’t sweet and are high in fat.
Top health benefits of eating nuts:
- Help you lose weight
- Can Lower Cholesterol and Triglycerides
- Beneficial for Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome
- Help reduce inflammation
- Nuts are high in fiber, antioxidants and nutrients
- Reduce Your Risk of Heart Attack and Stroke
Although peanuts are technically legumes like peas and beans, they are often referred to as nuts because they have similar nutrition profiles and characteristics.
Fermented foods are foods that have gone through a process of lactofermentation in which natural bacteria feed on the sugar and starch in the food creating lactic acid. This process preserves the food, and creates beneficial enzymes, b-vitamins, Omega-3 fatty acids, and various strains of probiotics.
Why would you consume fermented foods:
- Probiotics – help slow or reverse some diseases, improve bowel health, aid digestion, and improve immunity
- Absorb Food Better – having the proper balance of gut bacteria and enough digestive enzymes helps you absorb more of the nutrients in the foods you eat
- Budget Friendly – Incorporating healthy foods into your diet can get expensive, but that’s not the case with fermented foods. Adding fermented foods to your diet can also cut down on the number of supplements you need, helping the budget further.
- Preserves Food Easily – lacto-fermentation allows you to store these foods for longer periods of time without losing the nutrients like you would with traditional canning.
Spelt, quinoa, kamut, chia, teff, amaranth, sorghum, millet, wild rice, and farro – these are just some of the ancient grains and seeds that are a great way to start the day.
Health benefits of some ancient grains:
- Amaranth is packed with protein – one cup of cooked amaranth contains 9 grams of protein, far more than most other grains
- Kamut acts like an antioxidant – a meal with kamut can give your immune system a healthy boost, and have a positive effect on cholesterol, blood glucose levels, and more
- Sorghum keeps you full – 1/2 cup contains 10 grams of protein and 16 grams of dietary fiber
- Millet protects your heart – it can reduce blood pressure and has potential to prevent or treat migraines
- Teff is mighty in minerals – it contains high levels of calcium and it’s iron packed
Kale is low in calorie, high in fiber and has zero fat. It’ efficiently aids in digestion and elimination with its great fiber content. Kale is also filled with great nutrients, vitamins, folate, magnesium and many more.
Health benefits of kale:
- Great anti-inflammatory – helps fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders
- Cardiovascular support – can help lower cholesterol levels
- High in Vitamin A – great for your vision, your skin as well as helping to prevent lung and oral cavity cancers
- High in Vitamin C – very helpful for your immune system, your metabolism and your hydration
- Great detox food – great for detoxifying your body and keeping your liver healthy as it’s filled with fiber and sulfur
- High in Calcium – aids in preventing bone loss and osteoporosis, maintaining a healthy metabolism, healthy cartilage and joint flexibility
Green tea is considered to be the healthiest beverage on the planet. It’s loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that have powerful effects on the body. Green tea retains maximum amount of antioxidants and polyphenol, which are the substances that give it its many benefits:
- Weight loss – the polyphenol found in green tea works to intensify levels of fat oxidation and the rate at which your body turns food into calories
- Diabetes – helps regulate glucose levels and prevent high insulin spikes
- Heart disease – it protect against the formation of blood clots - the primary cause of heart attacks
- Cholesterol – reduces bad cholesterol in the blood and improves the ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol
- Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s – it may delay the deterioration caused by Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, by protecting brain cells from dying and restoring damaged brain cells
- Tooth decay – can destroy bacteria and viruses that cause throat infections, dental caries and other dental conditions
- Blood Pressure – green tea is thought to reduce the risk of high blood pressure
- Skincare – can help with wrinkles and the signs of aging, because of their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities
Coconut milk, water, flesh and oil – this is what it’s all about.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Coconuts:
- Support immune system health – They are anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-parasite
- Provide a natural source of quick energy
- Enhance physical and athletic performance
- Improve digestion and absorption of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals
- Improve insulin secretion and symptoms associated with diabetes
- Reduce risk of heart health and improves good cholesterol (HDL)
- Restore and support thyroid function
- Protect against kidney disease and bladder infection
- Promote weight loss
Here’s a just a small list of exotic fruits that support health:
- Passion fruit – high in Vitamins A, C and E
- Carambola – high amount in Vitamin C
- Dragon fruit – high amount of bioflavonoids
- Lychee – high in Vitamin C
- Rambutan - high in Vitamin C
- Physalis – contains a lot of ascorbic acid
- Durian – if you can get pass the smell, it contains a lot of calcium and phosphorus
Salmon is one of the most nutritious foods on the planet, loaded with nutrients and helpful for reducing risk factors for several diseases.
Here are some amazing health benefits of salmon.
- Rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- Great source of protein
- High in B Vitamins
- May reduce the risk of heart disease
- May benefit weight control
- Can help fight inflammation
- May promote brain health